Where is Tim Now?
Thanks to Iridium satellite phone solutions, Tim was able to combine the oldest form of travel on horse with the most sophisticated form of communication in today's modern world. Iridium, Tim's main sponsor provided him with the ability to send photos, and stories direct from the steppe so that the public can share in this unique adventure.
Tim is now in Gippsland Australia where he is working on his book and just finished a four part documentary series.
Featured film promo for upcoming series:
After three years on the road Tim crossed Mongolia and Kazakhstan, traversed southern Russia, crossed the Crimea and mainland Ukraine, and on the 2nd of August after passing through the Carpathians made it to Hungary. On the 22nd of September his journey came to a close in Opusztaszer after which Tim travelled to London where he gave multiple interviews and was honoured at the Australian Embassy by friends, dignitaries, and fellow Long Riders who had supported him invaluably during his journey.
After some time at home in Gippsland Australia beginning work on a book and documentary series Tim travelled to Russia and Mongolia in 2008 to lead treks for World Expeditions. This year he returned to Mongolia again, and most recently completed a four part film series about his journey. He is now back at home working on the book.
- THE JOURNEY BECOMES A TV DOCUMENTARY SERIES 30/11/09
- AN UPDATE ON THE BOOK...AND TIGON! (30/11/09)
- TIM RETURNS TO MONGOLIA TO LEAD TREK FOR WORLD EXPEDITIONS (30/11/09)
- Tigon at home in Australia (25/2/09)
- TIM'S REUNION WITH TIGON! 18/12/08
- Tigon touches down in Australia! (12/12/08)
- Home life, the film, get Tigon to Australia! fairy tale for the horses....back to Mongolia (3/7/08)
- NEW! (3/7/08): View Discovery short film featuring Tim
- Tim's Journey a Cover Feature in Australian Geographic Journal (12/1/07)
- Tim Honored in Washington DC by National Geographic! (17/11/07)
- Reflections on reaching the edge of the Eurasian steppe and NEW VIDEO MATERIAL!
- Links to articles online about Tim's journey after completing 10000 km Journey on horseback.
- The end is in sight, set for September 22! The odyssey will come to spectacular conclusion in Opusztaszer Hungary!
INTO HUNGARY (AUGUST 2007)
- 5/09/07: Trail of honour through Hungary
- 3/08/07: BULLETIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tim has crossed the border into Hungary!
INTO WESTERN UKRAINE (2007)
- Border preparations, Tigon puts an ear in the works...(14/7/07)
- The Hungarian plains almost in sight! (3/7/07)
- Rakhiv to Meszgori: traversing polonino life in the high Carpathians (19/6/07)
- Chorna Gora mountains and a rush of hutsul colour (6/6/07)
- Dumaniv, yarolslav, King of Bilche Zoloti, to the hutsuls in the Capathians (23/05/07)
- Sledi to Dumaniv in Xmelitskaya oblast (6/5/07)
- Back in the saddle in Vinnitskaya Province (23/4/07)
- Horse Shoeing In Kodima (16/4/07)
- Return to Kodima (6/4/07)
RETURN TO AUSTRALIA TO MOURN DEATH OF FATHER (Nov 2006 - Mar 2007)
- Preparing to continue the journey (14/3/07)
- Special new coffee table book ready to order through Tim's site!
- Tim returns to Australia to mourn the tragic death of his father, Andrew Cope (27/11/06)
UKRAINIAN ENTRIES (2006)
- Back with the horses in the Ukraine (19/10/06)
- A Whirlwind Australian Visit for the Aus Geo Awards (6/10/06)
- Tim Flown in for 'Adventurer of the Year Award' in Sydney (24/09/06)
- Tim crosses the Dniepr River and reaches Nikolaiv (4/9/06)
- Arrival at the capital of the Crimean Khanate, tatar-Russian violence(15/8/06)
- Crimean mountains & forest, an alcoholic companion, onto alpine pastures & heart of Tatars (1/8/06)
- Australian Geographic Offers Additional Support to see Tim to Hungary (30/7/06)
- Calling in from the highland nomad pastures of the Crimean Mountains (19/7/07)
- An unplanned Crimean stop-over, ancient port, kicked dog (19/6/06)
- Eastern Crimea- misbehaving stallion, Tatar from Samarkand, Dolphins, Steppe (1/6/06)
RUSSIAN ENTRIES (2005-2006)
- From the Kuban to Crimea: Cossack Suriya, Vet checks, to the Black Sea! (23/5/06)
- Kalmikia to Kuban: lost horse, cossack poachers, pickled vegetables, mud and horsehair(12/3/06-24/4)
- Tragedy Strikes! 02/04/06
- The Long Riders' Guild seeks international investigation into floor mat being sold as a saddle pad (16/2/06)
- Enter Kalmikia: nomads in Europe (6/2/06)
- Astrakhan Oblast: Freezing Volga, Saiga, New Year in Liman, local conflict (27/1/06)
- Astrakhan: where steppe and sedentary lives mingle, run away horses, city riding (25/1/06)
KAZAKHSTAN ENTRIES (2004-2005)
- Road to Russia!(17/12/05)
- In the Nick of Time (9/12/05)
- Double-crossed and running out of time! (6/12/05)
- Miracle from Moscow! 30/11/05)
- Elusive permits. Still in Atrau. 28/11/05)
- Russian entry fails! Back in Kazakhstan.(9/11/05)
- Kulsari to the Russian Border: the last leg in Kazakhstan (28/10/05)
- Tim makes historic crossing of Kazakhstan!(23/10/05)
- Tim Reaches the Caspian and enters geographical Europe! (03/10/05)
- Tim returns to Kulsari to find horses prepared for race and Mosque Ceremony (17/09/05)
- Cordell and Kara's Impressions: A Strangely Familiar Journey (4/9/05)
- Into Western Kazakhstan: Disaster in Kulsari! (Part 3/9/05)
- Into Western Kazakhstan: Underground Mosque, Living the Furnace, Caravan Ends (Part2 31/8/05)
- Into the heart of Western Kazakhstan: Abaya to Kulsari along the river Emba (Part 1, 29/5/05)
- Horse swamp bad (1/8/05)
- Land of fire, water, and sand: Travelling the Emba river (14/7/05)
- Pushing towards the Caspian Sea (5/7/05)
- The caravan departs!! (27/6/05)
- Dodging the furnace (18/6/05)
- Into the Aral Sands (8/6/05)
- Scrape with bridge, Syr Darya, Space Rockets...(30/5/05)
- New Horse, Hospitality Terrorism and Syr Darya tales...(17/5/05)
- To Qyzlorda (9/5/05)
- Akbakai to Zhuantobe: Starving Steppe, Snow Storm, Nomads, and the Immortal Dog.(29/4/05)
- London and the Royal Geographic Society: an event never to forget. (25/3/05)
- Carting 50kg of horse meat for 800km...(9/3/05)
- A rough return to Akbakai: dog eaters, wild winter, horse head...(7/3/05)
- Hauled up in Ust-Kamenogorsk (27/2/05)
- Unique Royal Geographic Society Meeting in London (27/2/05)
- Horse slaughter and other tales from Akbakai (16/1/05)
- Down under in Akbakai?(6/1/05)
- Frozen Steppe, Boiled Pigeon, camel in the lounge room, merry Christmas, and a happy new year!!!! (31/12/04)
- Balkhash legends, Wife stealing, and bloody cold... (21/12/04)
- To Balkhash- pressing on across the steppe and a birthday to remember. (11/12/04)
- (3/12/04)Thieves, so close to disaster, back onto the steppe...
- (26/11/04)Kopa-Balkhash: where Kazak weddings, meet lonely steppe, and Asia's fourth largest lake...
- Kindikti to Kopa: snow, frost, mud, alone, horse bite. (19/11/04)
- Into the cold- stepping into the beginning of Winter on the Kazak steppe. (7/11/04)
- Down from the Altai with three new horses- the Kazak leg begins (posted 1/11/04)
- Into Kazakstan: Horse hunting, Kazak Sausage, Vodka and snow (posted 19/10/04)
MONGOLIA ENTRIES (2004)
- Nomad Burials- a letter from Gansukh (posted 4/10/04)
- Tim Reaches the far west! Horses Sold! Zuungov - Tsengel (Posted 21/9/04)
- Khovd River- Tsengel(Among Kazaks in Bayan Olgiy, end of the Mongolian leg) 9/10/04 NEW!
- Kharkirra ? Bayan Olgiy Province. "Down from the mtns, across the Khovd river. a new land (8/10/04) NEW!
- Crossing the Kharkiraa with three horses and a camel (NEW! posted 3/10/04)
- 9/9/04 (Female) Impressions of Mongolia
- 30/8/04 Resting at Ulaangom ? update posted by Tim Billington on behalf of Tim Cope
- 23/8/04 Tes to Zuungov...sand dunes, sheep stomach, horse trading, wolf bones....
- A new horse, heading west (13/8/04)
- Mountains, wolves, blisters; (4/8/04)
- Into the depths of Mongolia (26/7/04)
- Tsetserleg to Tariat (20/7/04)
- Arrival in Tsetserleg (12/7/04)
- Horses stolen!!!....(8/7/04)
- Latest news from Kharkorin, Mongolia (4/7/04)
- Mutton, Raw Hide, Ger Tents (23/6/04)
- Arrival in Mongolia! (14/6/04)
- Tim Hits the Road! (Beijing 4/6/04)
- In the Footsteps of Ghengis Khan: an introduction to the next adventure